Skip to main content
Search results

Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)

From its humble beginnings in an old stable in Hindmarsh Square in the 1930s, 891 ABC Adelaide has become an integral part of many Adelaidians lives. After acquiring the commercial radio licence of 5CL in 1925, the ABC constructed studios in a converted stables building on Hindmarsh Square. Soon after the station's name was changed to 5AN, which remained the name of the local ABC radio service for the next 75 years. In 1959, with a view to move location and update their facilities, the ABC purchased the old Tregenna mansion estate in Collinswood, and in the following years and eight storey building was built on the site to host ABC radio, television and online for the Adelaide area. In 1974, 5AN moved from Hindmarsh Square into the new premises on North East Road, where it still resides today. In 2000, 5AN changed its call sign to 891 ABC Adelaide. In 2017, 891 became ABC Radio Adelaide.