Nepean Neighbour Aid (NNA) is a Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) funded by the Department of Health.
NNA’s aim is to assist the socially isolated older community to remain living independently in their own home through social support therefore reducing the risk of premature entry into full time residential care. Service delivery can take place weekly or fortnightly to break the cycle of social isolation. Social contact is valuable for physical and mental wellbeing.
NNA provides orientation and training for volunteers to enable them to safely assist accompanying a client to the shops, a home visit to enjoy a chat or make a phone call. Being understanding and a good listener is what counts. Social support does not involve personal care or running of errands.
To be eligible to volunteer you need to:
• live within the local Penrith LGA • be over 50 years old
• be fully vaccinated (against Covid) to do face to face visits
• agree to a Police Check being conducted (at NNA’s cost)
• hold a current Driver’s Licence and be in possession of a suitable, roadworthy vehicle with Comprehensive Insurance.
• be willing to commit to a 6 month agreement
Simple words like “HELLO, HOW ARE YOU TODAY?” brightens anyone’s day knowing that someone else cares. YOU can be that person to change how someone is feeling today! Phone our office Monday to Thursday for an appointment or to learn more about volunteering.