Open House is a small Christian charity organisation that has been serving the community for 50 years. Open House Bike Hut operates out of Malahang Reserve, West Heidelberg for local park users to fix their bikes, scooters and skateboards. Bikes and scooters are also donated and distributed to residents free of charge to ride to school, work or for recreation.
The position of bicycle repair and maintenance is based at our Macleod premises, with support at the Malahang Reserve Bike Hut if required.
• Repair, check, and fix bikes following Open House bicycle repair standards.
• Check order book and source appropriate bikes from our stock for repair.
• Prepare bikes on time for Malahang Reserve Bike Hut customers, Open House rides and other outings.
• Record the work done on bikes and update the inventory of the workshop.
• Keep all benches and the workshop clean. • Provide feedback about bicycles and be a part of the Bike Hut team. • Be customer friendly and personable as you are the face of our Bike Hut team when dealing with the community. • Identify bikes beyond repair, strip serviceable parts and scrap as required.
We require volunteers with a good knowledge about bicycles and scooters.
The tasks will involve:
• Tyre and tube replacements and repairs.
• Assembling/disassembling a wide range of bicycles.
• Bottom bracket removal and repair including pedal removal and replacement. • Wheel repairs, spoke replacements and truing. • Crank arm replacement. • Derailleurs – adjustments, repairs and replacements, limit screw adjustments. • Headset repairs and overhaul. • Brake adjustment, repairs, brake block replacements, brake levers and shifter levers.
• Changing all kinds of cables. • Chain check, replacement, and lubrication. • Ensure bikes ready for distribution are roadworthy, road tested and tagged as complete.