- Volunteer for a leading animal welfare charity
- Frankston location
About the RSPCA Victoria
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Victoria) is a non-government, community-based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. RSPCA Victoria was established in Melbourne in 1871. Since this time, the RSPCA has become Australia’s leading animal welfare charity.
Volunteers are an integral part of the RSPCA team. They play an active and vital role in helping to support our work to improve the welfare of animals and protect them from cruelty and neglect. Volunteering involves commitment, dedication and passion.
About the role
RSPCA Victoria Op Shops are entirely volunteer operated, providing much needed funds to support RSPCA Victoria achieve our vision of “ending cruelty to all animals”. The Op Shops also play a visible role in the wider community as the “face” of RSPCA Victoria.
The role of Op Shop Assistant exists to help sell a wide range of new and pre-loved items. This involves serving members of the public, assisting with stock rotation, sorting and pricing items, merchandising and keeping the Op Shop in a tidy and presentable state.
This role requires the ability to perform a wide range of tasks as required depending on the Op Shop activity on the day. Flexibility and the willingness to contribute to the team’s efforts are important in this role.
You will be supported by the Op Shop Team Leader (or Assistant Team Leader or Day Supervisor), the Op Shop Support Team and the wider resources of RSPCA Victoria.
Role duties and responsibilities
The Op Shop Assistant volunteer may be responsible for the following activities:
- Serving customers in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Receiving, sorting and pricing donated goods.
- Packaging unsuitable goods appropriately, ready for disposal.
- Displaying and rotating goods for sale in the store.
- Performing cash and eftpos sales
- Ensuring the store is clean, tidy and is not cluttered for the safety of all.
- General housekeeping cleaning and tidying
Skills and experience required
To be successful in this role, the volunteer will possess the following necessary skills and attributes:
- Great customer service skills.
- The ability to work well in a team.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- A great sense of humour!