The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Solve Disability Solutions.
Solve Disability Solutions are looking for technical volunteers to design, make/modify equipment for people with a disability. If you are an engineer, tradesman, upholsterer or expert "handyperson" this could be an ideal volunteering role for you.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- With our Occupational Therapist (OT), meet with the client and their family to scope the equipment related problem and together discuss possible solutions
- Together agree on the solution that best serves the client's needs. Design and build or modify the equipment, if required make a pro-type first
- Trial the equipment with the client and family to ensure the solution is suitable
- Finish off making the equipment, ensuring it is made to a high quality standard
- Deliver the equipment to the client (usually with the OT present)
- Prepare a written report of the project and include, photos and any reimbursement claims for out of pocket expenses (such as materials and kilometres travelled)
- Submit the report
Skills and Experience: The following types of skilled volunteers are required:
- Engineers, tradesman, upholsterers and expert "handymen and women"
- You need access to a workshop and tools, be a practical minded person who enjoys problem solving and thinking outside the square
- You need to be a good listener and to be patient and respectful to people.
- You need to be able to make or modify equipment to a high quality
- Get to use your skills- be inventive!
- Gain an understanding of living with disability
- Help others in the community
- Give back to the community
- Meet and form friendships with other like-minded volunteers
- Seeing the smile on a client's face when they can do something they thought they wouldn't be able to
- Gain satisfaction from seeing your end product