DCSS Australia Inc. (NFP Community Justice & Social Services Organisation) is looking for a passionate and enthusiastic Legal officer. We are looking for a skilled and organised individual to coordinate and provide assistance when needed to all the volunteers within the organisation.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Support the leadership team with all major legal matters within the organisation including group structure, governance, finance, regulatory obligations, employment law and general commercial transactions.
- Liaising with key regulators in relation to matters relating to governance and probity, as well as providing advice and supporting other senior managers in relation to their regulatory interactions.
- Brief senior management on all material legal and regulatory matters.
- Develop and maintain core legal, governance and probity policies and procedures within the organisation.
- Support the leadership team to discharge duties to the Board and ensure all board functions are managed efficiently and effectively
- Monitor changes in all relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and providing advice to the leadership team in relation to the same.
- Manage risk by maintaining awareness of, and responsiveness to, legal and regulatory, reputational and commercial factors and assessing their potential to impact on DCSS Australia' business.
- Liaise with HR with respect to performance management and policy
- Draft and execute DCSS Australia's legal documentation such as confidentiality agreements and ensure all documentation is structured correctly and legally sound.
- Assist in the conducting of extensive due diligence reviews on corporate matters
- Draft relevant forms for the use of audio and footage provided by the public and/or third parties
- Assist with audits and auditors
- Prepare advice, information, regular and ad hoc reports to provide analysis of issues and information to inform and to support effective decision making
Skills, qualification and experience
- Tertiary qualification in law and holder of a current practising certificate (or ability to readily regain practising certificate)
- 4 - 8 years post admission experience
- Strong stakeholder engagement experience, business awareness and management skills
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts and requirements, in plain English to employees within DCSS Australia.
- Solid understanding of various not-for-profit legal issues and the ability to undertake research at a high level and ability to reason and use judgment and discretion
- Well-developed conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills with sound and pragmatic judgement and decision making ability.
- Strong organisational and prioritising skills with excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Highly level confidentiality, sensitivity, discretion and absolute integrity.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Self‐motivated, flexible, pragmatic and precise
- Ability to compile and interpret statistical data and communicate it in a professional and understandable manner
Mandate Requirement • Australia Citizen/Permanent Residency • Experience with either Not-For-Profit organisation, community sector or psychological/social services