The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of National Ageing Research Institute.
This volunteering role forms part of a large research project exploring the impact of befriending on symptoms of depression, anxiety and loneliness in people living in residential aged care.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- undertake befriending with older people living in residential aged care facilities
- visit an older person (befriending) once a week for a period of four months
- befriending involves having a conversation with a person about everyday topics and events in a friendly way without discussing health problems
Skills and Experience:
- The volunteer needs to be over the age of 18 years and be available to travel to the residential aged care facility
- They will be required to have a police check - this can be organised by the National Ageing Research Institute
Benefits: It is expected that volunteers will get enjoyment out of befriending with the older person as well as possibly increase their own life satisfaction.