The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Victoria) is a non-government, community-based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. RSPCA Victoria was established in Melbourne in 1871. Since this time, the RSPCA has become Australia’s leading animal welfare charity.Volunteers are an integral part of the RSPCA team. They play an active and vital role in helping to support our work to improve the welfare of animals and protect them from cruelty and neglect. Volunteering involves commitment, dedication and passion.
RSPCA Victoria Op Shops are entirely volunteer operated, providing much needed funds to support RSPCA Victoria achieve our vision of “ending cruelty to all animals”. The Op Shops also play a visible role in the wider community as the “face” of RSPCA Victoria.The role of Op Shop Assistant exists to help sell a wide range of new and pre-loved items. This involves serving members of the public, assisting with stock rotation, sorting and pricing items, merchandising and keeping the Op Shop in a tidy and presentable state.This role requires the ability to perform a wide range of tasks as required depending on the Op Shop activity on the day. Flexibility and the willingness to contribute to the team’s efforts are important in this role.You will be supported by the Op Shop Team Leader (or Assistant Team Leader or Day Supervisor), the Op Shop Support Team and the wider resources of RSPCA Victoria.
The Volunteer Op Shop Assistant’s duties may include:
- Undertaking daily tasks as delegated by the Team Leader/Assistant Team Leader or Day Supervisor
- Serving customers in a friendly and helpful manner
- Receiving, sorting and pricing donated goods
- Packaging unsuitable goods appropriately, ready for disposal
- Displaying and rotating goods for sale in the store
- Performing cash and Eftpos sales
- Ensuring the store is clean, tidy and is not cluttered for the safety of all
- General housekeeping cleaning and tidying
If you have a passion for animal welfare and would love to help the RSPCA Victoria raise much-needed funds to support our vision of ending cruelty to all animals, please consider this opportunity.