Coder Dojo Altona North offers volunteers a great opportunity to work with parents/kids here in Altona North (Melbourne, Vic) and help them build critical life skills e.g. Logical Thinking, Problem Solving, Computational Thinking, Learning from failure, etc. through working on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) challenges in class. This is an opportunity to work at the grass root level and help build the next generation of STEM talent here in Australia.
At CoderDojo volunteers work closely with parent/child teams helping them chart out a STEM learning journey and then work with the parent/child teams supporting them on their own STEM learning journey. Volunteers work with the parent/child teams supporting them on any of the coding, electronics, robotics, 3d modelling challenges they encounter. Volunteers help point them in the right direction and help the parent/child teams identify suitable options. Parent/Child teams work on different coding, electronics, robotics, 3D modelling, etc. challenges in class supported by volunteers.
As a volunteer at the CoderDojo your responsibilities include -
In class activities : 2 Hrs Every Week **(0900 - 1100 Hrs AEST on Saturday) **-
- Work with the volunteering lead, volunteers team and help run the weekly sessions
- Work with the library staff and volunteer team to setup the class for the session
- Work with the library staff and volunteer team to ensure that equipment is packed up and handed over at the end of the session
- Help run the Stand-up at the start of the session and the "Show and Tell" at the end of the session.
- Work with the volunteer lead, volunteer team and support the parent/child teams as required.
- Work with the parent/child teams on coding, electronics, robotics, 3d modelling, web development, etc. challenges the face. Guide them and point them in the right direction.
- Help resolve any conflict in a safe manner, escalate to the lead a required. Ensure the CoderDojo policies and guidelines are being enforced.
- Work with the parent/kid teams on the various coding, electronics, robotics, 3d modelling, web development challenges. Support STEM learning across the group.
- Work with the volunteer lead and help track progress that the kids are making in class. Ensure that the kids are being challenged and get the kids to change focus to more challenging development tracks as required. Work with the parents and volunteers on this.
- Most importantly, support the parent/child team on their STEM learning journey. Mentor the parent in class so that they can support their kids in class and help them continue their learning when outside of class.
A big difference with the way we run our CoderDojo is that we work with Parent/Child teams helping them discover their own STEM learning journey. We are passionate about igniting and inspiring kids to innovate and we use the STEM learning platform to do that.