What do Hospice volunteers do? Hospice Care volunteers provide a home based support service to those living with a life limiting illness.
While skilled professional medical and nursing staff care for terminally ill patients, Hospice volunteer provide support and companionship to both clients and their families by:
- Staying with a client while their carer and/or family members have time out.
- Interacting with a client - cards, books, television, walking, jigsaw, scrabble etc. Or just sitting at home.
- Sitting with clients as requested either during the day, evening, nights or weekends, at home or in care.
- Providing transport for clients to and from appointments, perhaps an outing or assisting with shopping.
- Being a present during a client's last hours - only if both parties are agreeable
- Be a good listener