- Minimum commitment of 4 hours a week / Ongoing position
- Volunteers needed urgently for commencement
The program Red Cross Shops sell new and donated clothes, accessories and homewares to raise funds to help people in need. Each year, we rescue 450 tonnes of clothing from landfill, give opportunities to 5000 volunteers, and generate funds to help Red Cross support vulnerable people in Australia and around the world. The proceeds from the sale of items support the vital everyday work of Red Cross, providing relief in times of crisis and care where it's needed most.
The opportunity Our Mount Hawthorn Red Cross Shop is looking for enthusiastic merchandise sorting volunteers with a passion for sustainability and preloved clothing to assist with sorting and packaging donations. By joining the team you’ll get the opportunity to:
- Sort and grade donated and new merchandise
- Help assess the quality and suitability of donated merchandise
- Be part of a team, contributing towards the operational work of Red Cross
- Gain valuable experience and training in retail operation and fashion
- Receive team member discounts on new and preloved products
A minimum commitment of four hours a week is required to volunteer. Previous experience in donation sorting and preloved fashion is desirable. Red Cross is an inclusive organisation and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and experience levels, so if you have some spare time and want to give back to your community we’d love to hear from you. Please note, this role is a behind the scenes role and does not involve working on the shop floor serving customers. Moving boxes and manual handling up to 10 kg will be required.
The impact As a Red Cross Donation Sorter volunteer, you’ll develop valuable retail skills while helping us raise funds to bring care and comfort where it’s needed most. Red Cross will ensure you have training, ongoing support and access to other opportunities within the world’s largest humanitarian network.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.