The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Friends of South Surrey Park.
Join this active group of volunteers to improve and maintain this local area. You will feel part of a team and enjoy working outdoors to improve the local environment. This remnant bushland is a great place to be mindful and to listen to the variety of birds.
The Friends of South Surrey Park meet regularly i.e. last Sunday of the month and every Tuesday from 10am to 12 noon to improve and maintain the biodiversity corridor along Back Creek between Riversdale Road and Union Road.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Planting indigenous plants from tube stock
- Spreading mulch to inhibit weed growth
- Weeding around established plants
- Removing litter
Skills and Experience:
- No experience is required, only an interest in improving the park environment so local indigenous flora and fauna can thrive
- Participants must be prepared to work on the ground
- Some lifting such as carrying baskets of weeds may be required
- All equipment is supplied but it is suggested that you bring your own gardening gloves
Training and Induction:
- Members of the South Surrey Park friends group will train volunteers on how to successfully plant out tube stock and identify weed species
- Induction session covers OH&S issues when using tools
Note: This role may suit anyone wanting to meet new people, including retirees, parents of local kindergarten and childcare centres whose children use this space. Last Sunday of the month is when planting occurs especially over winter months. Community planting days attract a variety of participants.