Please Note: All in-school programs are currently suspended due to the situation with COVID-19 in Australia. However, we are still taking expressions of interest from people who would like to be kept in the loop about this volunteering role because as soon as this pandemic is over and school resumes as per usual, we will need to have Volunteers who are ready to proceed as soon as possible. So, if you would like to know more about this program, please continue to read on below and express your interest by hitting the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the page. Thank you for your support and please stay safe and well!
Volunteer Reading Buddies are needed to support a literacy program in primary schools within the Georges Hall area. The program targets children in Years 2-4 who are struggling and falling behind in their literacy development.
About The Role:
- Volunteers provide vital literacy support on a one-to-one basis, for 45 minutes per week, over a 15 week period
- Volunteers also provide mentoring, friendship and individual care and attention to their buddy
- A three hour training session, where you will learn how to work with a child with literacy issues and other learning difficulties, is mandatory for all Volunteer Buddies
- Attendance of a one hour orientation session at the school before commencement of role
- Completion of evaluation surveys for Program
- Willingness to make a full commitment to the Program and to your buddy
- Complete a Working With Children Check
- A desire to help permanently improve the educational future of a young boy or girl
- Patient and caring nature
- Great command of the English language, both written and spoken, is essential
Becoming a Volunteer Reading Buddy will make a difference to a child’s life and help to break the cycle of learning difficulties and disadvantage that affect so many children and families in our community. If you would like to be involved with this program, we would love to hear from you!