Role Purpose - You will be matched with an older person in their home or aged care facility who is experiencing feelings of social isolation. Through your ongoing visits, you will build a meaningful friendship, reduce feelings of loneliness and encourage social connections.
- Visit one-on-one with an older person on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- Undertake activities that are of interest to the participant. This this may include listening to music together, playing cards or board games, or simply having a chat.
- Outings are also possible once ongoing visits are well established. Maintain regular communication with the program staff and lead volunteer.
- Record and submit monthly reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A genuine interest in building friendship and social connections with older people to ease social isolation.
- Have an understanding of the complex health issues faced by people as they age and use this understanding and empathy during your visits.
- Effective social skills; can listen and chat to engage with people possibly from a diverse cultural background and who may be experiencing loneliness.
- Ability to maintain clear boundaries and confidentiality
- Are mature, reliable and have confidence to work independently without direct supervision and to seek support and guidance as required.