SportsUnited, using community development principles, seeks to provide opportunities for people at risk of social exclusion to participate in organised sport at no or minimal cost. The organisation aims to build the capacity of communities and to improve the skills of people by encouraging cohesion and harmony, and by fostering the creation of social connections across individuals, communities and organisations.
SportsUnited programs are facilitated in many locations around South Australia including CBD Adelaide through to the Barossa region. There are a number of sports involved - it varies depending on the needs of the school or local community we are working with. However, sports generally include soccer, football, netball and basketball.
Head Coaches will be required to develop and manage the delivery of specific SportsUnited community programs. Head Coach responsibilities include:
- Provide guidance to and mentor assistant coaches
- Arrange volunteer program training when required
- Communicate frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and well-placed
- Disseminate information for upcoming programs
- Develop a training plan for weekly sessions
- Set up field prior to commencement of session
- Ensure a safe playing environment for volunteers and participants
- Ensure the coaching sessions are in line with the values and philosophy of SportsUnited
- Liaise with community partner organisations to ensure SportsUnited programs are delivered appropriately to meet the needs of the community
- Ensure SportsUnited program evaluations are conducted regularly
- Εnsure the purpose of the organization and its actions is clearly communicated
Head Coaches need to be enthusiastic, committed, organised and flexible when working within various population groups.