The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of AMES Australia.
AMES is seeking a volunteer to mentor a migrant with a civil engineering background.
The AMES Australia Mentor Program matches skilled professional migrants with Mentors from the same profession or sector, who support them towards gaining employment.
Despite their qualifications, skills and experience, there are obstacles for these migrants in finding employment. These can include a lack of knowledge of the Australian job search process, workplace culture and local networks. With support, they can overcome these obstacles and begin their careers and new lives in Australia.
What do Mentors do?
- Meet weekly in the CBD (time/day flexible)
- Role play job interview questions
- Proofread job applications
- Guide in employment direction
- Support to settle into a new job
- Discuss Australian workplace culture
Skills and Experience:
- Professional experience as a Civil Engineer
- Current knowledge of job search strategies
- The ability to commit to one hour per week for 6 months
- At least three years Australian workplace experience in your profession
- Currently working or recently retired
- A desire to foster social inclusion
- obtain personal satisfaction from making a difference to the career development of another person
- enhance your people skills in areas such as leadership, interpersonal skills and communication
- increase your professional networks
- increase your profile and the profile of your organisation