ABOUT THE SERVICE
Meals Plus is a place of welcome that envelops people with a sense of belonging to a community when they would otherwise feel alone on their own. By providing people with a hot meal, supporting their basic needs each day and connecting them with community resources, Meals Plus is an ever-open door into a local community where people experiencing marginalisation like homelessness and social isolation, can re-discover balance and confidence in their own potential to transform their own lives.
It is an entry point into Parramatta Mission’s community services. Meals Plus is open for breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday. In 2021, we served over 56,000 meals to people in need.
Services include: emergency food assistance, laundry and shower facilities, legal advice by visiting solicitors, housing advocacy, Centrelink outreach service and referral to accommodation services.
- Assist with food preparation for breakfast and lunch service.
- Assist with serving of food at breakfast and lunch.
- Assist with providing hot drinks.
- Pack and clean away from lunch service.
- Shut down and cleaning of all equipment.
- Assist with food service generally.
- Assist with unloading donations and deliveries.
- Assist with handing out donated items.
- Assist guests with laundry queries.
- Assist in daily cleaning duties.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Ideally we are looking for someone who has:
- Knowledge of relevant food safety standards desirable but not essential
- Outcome focused
- Understands work activities and follows procedures well
- Manages time effectively
- A friendly disposition
BENEFITS FROM VOLUNTEERING
There is much to be gained from Volunteering, including but not limited to:
- Meet new people and create friendships
- Learn new skills
- Gain valuable work experience
- Support others in the community who would benefit from these services provided
- Develop self-confidence
- Practising verbal communication skills
ABOUT PARRAMATTA MISSION
Parramatta Mission provides meals, accommodation and mental health services across Greater Western Sydney. We provide assistance to the most vulnerable and disadvantaged in our communities to assist them in transforming their lives.