As an essential member of the Campaigns Support Team, you will be allocated to one of the teams related to our campaigns work. This currently includes the following areas: Refugees and the Game Over campaign; My New Neighbour Campaign; Community is Everything campaign and the Indigenous Rights Team; Individuals at Risk and the International campaign team.
The Campaigns Support Team is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable professional work experience and skills, receive weekly training sessions and represent one of the world's leading human rights organisations.
As part of the team you may be responsible for:
- Receiving, triaging, and responding to new phone, email, and in-person requests for assistance.
- Monitoring complex cases and, where appropriate, helping to advocate on behalf of detained asylum seekers, refugees, and other individuals at risk.
- Researching issues relating to refugee laws and policies in Australia and overseas and drafting submissions to assist the Refugee Advisor, preparing senate estimate summaries and political briefings.
- Providing project management and other assistance to the Refugee Campaigner and My New Neighbour Campaign and assisting with promotion of the Community Sponsorship Program.
- Researching issues relating to human rights abuses in Australia and overseas and preparing research reports to assist the Individuals at Risk and highlight cases of concerns to Amnesty International’s researchers.
- Research various matters of concern relating to systemic human rights violations and work undertaken by the International Campaigns team
- Analysing reports of human rights violations in Australia relating to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and providing research support to the Indigenous Rights team and Community is Everything Campaign.
Volunteers are requested to commit to 3 days a week placement (21hrs/ week). Days and hours are flexible and can be negotiated to accommodate personal circumstances. There may be the opportunity to volunteer from the Sydney Action Centre (Level 1, 79 Myrtle St, Chippendale, Sydney) but this will depend on COVID-19 restrictions and social distancing policies. As a result, the placement is being offered online and as a working from home (WFH) arrangement. This presents an exciting opportunity for people from remote and regional communities from all around Australia to apply.