Tasks and duties
- Overseeing daily operations of the business unit or organisation such as the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
- Creating and implementing growth strategies.
- Setting key performance goals.
- Hiring key personnel and overseeing training programs.
- Evaluating and deciding upon investments in equipment, infrastructure, and people.
- Reporting key results to senior executives.
- Reviewing financial statements, sales or other performance data to measure productivity.
- Identifying areas needing cost reduction or process improvement.
- Directing sales, marketing, or customer service activities.
The role of General Manager is common in large global or multinational organisations where businesses are organised along product lines, customer groups or geographies. The General Manager typically serves as the top executive for the unit and is responsible for strategy, structure, budgets, people, financial outcomes and scorecard metrics.