Tasks and duties
- Examine the income and expenditure of the individual or organisation.
- Create and maintain budgets.
- Prepare financial statements.
- Create accounting policies in consultation with senior stakeholders and in alignment with regulatory requirements.
- Prepare reports that articulate business compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Undertake audits, conduct financial investigations and manage insolvency.
- Provide advice about business plans, structures and accounting systems.
- Establishing bank accounts, funds and trusts.
- Manage cash flow.
- Manage investment projects.
- Oversee Grant Applications and Administrations.
Accountants may work in the public sector, for large or small organisations, or for individual clients. A Bachelor degree or higher is usually required to become an Accountant. Additional certification may also be needed. Accounting is generally suited to people who are good with numbers and those who are highly organised. Because Accountants have to deal with a wide range of people, it is also important to be able to connect with others and be able to communicate clearly.