Radio Lollipop is a children’s organisation that provides care, comfort, play and entertainment to children in hospital to create a haven of normality. We believe in the healing power of play, and our wonderful volunteers continuously provide smiles and laughter to children at a time when they need it most! Our aim every shift is to simply add a little bit of fun into a child's stay and help brighten their road to recovery. After all, our motto is "Lots of Love and Laughter In Place Of Pain"!
Do you: • Like working with children and putting a smile on a child’s face? • Like playing games, chatting, painting, making jokes, blowing bubbles? • Want to make amazing friends and be a part of a terrific team? • Want to laugh AND give back at the same time?
Each Radio Lollipop Volunteer has a commitment to provide 2.5 hours per week of interactive play with children. Each hospital has their own tremendous "toolbox" of activities to choose from including games, craft, bubbles, toys, colouring-in, and the ability to interact with our own broadcast radio. PCH volunteers have the unique opportunity to plan and run this child-orientated programme of interactive competitions, music, stories and games! As the direct impact of our service comes from our interactive play and chat, volunteers are rotated between presenting on the radio and being on the wards.
What qualities should a potential Volunteer be able to demonstrate?
- An enthusiastic, positive and outgoing personality;
- An interest in playing with children, of all ages, in an interactive way;
- An understanding of the benefits that constructive play can provide for a sick child and their siblings;
- The ability to be a dependable team player, to communicate regularly with their team leader, and work within a divers team;
- An appreciation of the need to uphold the highest standards of ethics and integrity whilst within and without a hospital;
- The ability to meet the requirement to provide 2.5 hours of voluntary play each week and one fun extra activity a year. and
- The ability to commit towards the organisation for at least one year.
Once appointed what might a Radio Lollipop Volunteer be expected to do?
- Attend the compulsory induction and training programme;
- Join a night team and observe / participate in the play activities / games and competitions agreed as for the 2.5-hour shift;
- Participate in one extra activity per year (e.g. Roadshows, Fundraisers, Crafternoons, Admin help etc...)
- Hand out prizes to winners of competitions (and those who deserve to be winners!); and
- Develop radio presentation skills.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Help plan and create (or identify from archive sources) the weekly radio program your team will be using;
- Help plan and create the coordinating crafts, games and activities to be used in the weekly radio program your team will be using;
- Supervise radio studio programming while the team is on-air;
- Help coordinate transportation for children to come visit the studio;
- Serve as host/hostess for children visiting the studio;
- Oversee play and activities in and around the studio;
- Bring crafts to children who are unable to visit the studio; and
- Work with patients as necessary per direction from the Nursing and Child Life staffs;
Non-essential duties and responsibilities:
- Act as presenter/DJ during the program;
- Attend workshops and training sessions;
- Assist with training for new team members; and
- Assist with fundraising efforts to support the Radio Lollipop programming efforts.
Volunteers, after being with the organisation for a certain amount of time, also have the ability to assume leadership roles within their assigned team, or join the local Station Management team and thus gain valuable management skills applicable to roles outside the charity.
Radio Lollipop Volunteers have a great deal of fun providing a valuable service to sick children and their families. The reward of seeing a quiet, withdrawn child return to a confident, happy child is immense and is something that our Volunteers experience on a regular basis.
If you would like to know more about us, you can search us online or search @radiolollipop on Facebook and Twitter.