The Homework Learning Support Initiative (HLSI), supports South Sudanese community needs in the Frankston area. HLSI is a place based, educational engagement and social inclusion program for humanitarian refugee children and families of the Horn of Africa (South Sudanese). Based on a holistic approach, this program supports children who have experienced educational and environmental disruption and trauma and is designed to strengthen their social capital, literacy, numeracy and language skills and improve both child and family health and wellbeing. HLSI encompasses multi-generational and diverse learning opportunities
An exciting opportunity has emerged within the HLSI Program to volunteer as a Mentor. In this role you will support participants from emerging communities, particularly the South Sudanese community from Year 9 to Year 12, setting academic and personal goals, encouraging students to problem solve and hold themselves accountable to these goals. Discussing educational pathways, writing cover letters and resumes, assisting with job applications, encouraging students to open a bank account and apply for tax file number are all part of a mentor’s role and responsibilities.
This role will operate across the following site:
- Monterey Secondary College, 20 Silvertop St, Frankston North
Please specify the location you are applying for in your screening questionnaire.
What we're looking for:
We are looking for someone with:
- Commitment and interest in supporting children, youth and families from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Interest in education, supporting student creativity and skill development
- Competency in tutoring students with English as a second language
- Teaching or ESL teaching qualification or equivalent experience
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to relate and interact well with children and young people
- Demonstrated capacity to contribute to a team environment
- Commitment to the objectives and ongoing development of the program
- Understanding of and commitment to the values and ideals of the BSL
To learn more, apply now!