Please apply through the Google Form link provided otherwise your application will not be considered.
Meld Community is a Melbourne-based not-for-profit community organisation dedicated to facilitating the development of a healthy international student community in Victoria, and helping students find a respectful place in the wider context of Australian life and society.
We have a unique model of aligning the efforts of its student volunteers with their studies and providing opportunities for learning, industry exposure and relevant work experience.
It is the publisher of Meld Magazine, Melbourne’s go-to website for international students, as well as the organiser behind events such as the annual Melbourne International Student Conference and campaigns such as Sextember and Mental Health Week.
The organisation was originally established in 2008 as Meld Magazine in response to a need in the community, to give international students a voice and reflect the full picture of the international student experience. Access to all content on Meld’s website is free, relevant and relates to international students across diverse social and economic backgrounds.
As the Head Graphic Designer for Meld Magazine, you will manage a small team to produce a range of material for our social media platforms and projects. You will be expected to help develop appropriate and innovative communication strategies to achieve Meld Magazine and Meld Community objectives.
- Design, layout and produce a range of material including flyers, advertisements, banners, signs, posters, newsletters and annual reports to effectively communicate with Meld stakeholders
- Develop creative concepts to apply to all communications material produced for Meld events
- Ensure all publications produced by Meld are to the highest visual design standards and effectively and appropriately communicate with Meld Community
- Recommend appropriate communication mediums to achieve Meld objectives
- Research, purchase, commission and take photographs for use in communication material
- Be aware of emerging trends in visual design
- Ensure publications comply with Meld Style Guide and Visual Identity Guidelines
- In consultation with other managers and your team, develop an internal publication request and approval system
- Track workload and time spent per job and prepare graphic design reports.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of design software packages including Adobe Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat on Mac and PC platforms
- Tertiary qualifications in Graphic Design or similar fields; or equivalent industry experience
- Capacity to work as a team manager and as an individual to deliver high quality and engaging visual content
- Demonstrated ability to strategically project manage the creative design process from brief to completion to meet project and business objectives
- Demonstrated ability to develop innovative and modern design solutions to address complex communication objectives
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with a diverse creative cohort including printers, designers, illustrators and distributors
- Flexible schedule (minimum availability two days per week)
- Passionate about the international student sector
- Have the support and training to grow a range of skill sets
- Change your mindset, giving you the confidence to take on tasks and challenges you didn’t think you could before
- Obtain skills in facilitation, management and marketing communications that will carry forward in your career
- Build your personal network and be exposed to new opportunities
- Have your opinions challenged, and your perspective broadened
Time commitment: 2 days a week | This is a voluntary position
Reports to: Managing Editor
Application deadline: Sunday 14 February
Apply here: forms.gle/DYAaxndVha15WstC9