Glen Eira Kindergarten Association (GEKA) is a not-for-profit Early Years Manager currently managing eleven kindergartens in the Glen Eira and Monash local government areas. GEKA is an incorporated association governed by a board of directors as required under the Rules of the Association. Board members are responsible for setting the strategic direction of the organisation, risk management and overall governance.
GEKA’s Board consists of representatives that are skills-based professionals, with an interest in the local community and early childhood sector. Now in our tenth year of operation, and positioned for further growth, we are seeking a suitably qualified education specialist to join as a Board member.
We are looking for candidates who have background or experience in the education, early years management, childcare sectors or relevant supporting industries. For future board growth, we will also consider candidates with governance, risk or legal experience.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, LGBTI and people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
GEKA Board members need to have good business acumen, great communication skills and a desire to give to the community. You will be a strategic thinker, energetic with excellent interpersonal and communication skills who can positively influence discussions at a Board level. You do not need to have prior board experience, however experience working on NFP committees of management would be beneficial.
Some of the responsibilities of Board members include:
- Attendance at monthly Board meetings and strategic planning sessions
- Active participation in Board discussions
- Showing respect to Board members and staff of the organisation
- Acting in the best interest of the association
- Complying with the association’s constitution and relevant legislation
- Have no major conflicts of interest, in particular with other Not For Profit organisations within the same field and/or with persons of interest.
Ordinary board members may be called upon to:
- Fill executive committee casual vacancies that may arise
- Perform specific tasks for the association
- Sit on sub-committees
This is a volunteer role, and we request a minimum term of 3 years.
For further information about the position or to discuss the role, please contact our Chair, Katie Frazer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and cover letter detailing your relevant experience and skills, and outlining why you are the right person for this role to email@example.com.