The RSPCA NSW Education Team are responsible for delivering Education programs in schools, local communities as well as hosting Education programs onsite at our various shelters.
To meet the increasing demand for our services and to help us deliver more animal welfare education, we are looking for several Education Assistants to help in either delivering to groups of students, or to lead several of our education initiatives and activities.
As an Education Volunteer, you will be involved in delivering RSPCA NSW Education program content and the option of assisting with a variety of education activities including:
- Hosting education visits onsite at our Education Hub and shelter in Sydney
- Delivering presentations to Primary and Secondary schools, and youth groups
- Help lead our School Holiday Program
- Assisting with rural and regional education visits across New South Wales at certain times of the year (multiple days with overnight stays)
You will be supported by the Senior Manager Outreach Programs, Education Manager and Education Officers to deliver educational programs that meets the RSPCA objectives, the expectation of our audience and that enrich the lives of our shelter animals.
Requirements for this role:
- At least 18 years old
- Current Working with Children Check (NSW) obtained by the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian, free to volunteers
- Undergo a National Criminal History Check (costs covered by RSPCA NSW)
- Previous teaching experience preferred or ideally previous experience working with children, e.g. classroom teacher, school extra-curricularactivities, before/after school care
- Animal handling experience, e.g. current RSPCA NSW volunteer, experience in animal shelters/vet clinics/wildlife parks
- Availability on weekdays during school term - 9am to 3pm
- Confidence to lead groups of children in animal interactions
- Friendly, approachable and welcoming attitude
- General understanding of learning and special needs of participants
- Punctual, with good time management skills
- You are energetic and enjoy interacting with people
- Ability to follow direction, work within a team and individually
- Clear and accurate communication skills and professional attitude
RSPCA NSW is a registered COVID Safe organisation, and follows NSW Health warnings and precautions in regards to our staff, volunteers, visitors and daily practices.
Please note: Volunteers for this role require a Working with Children Check (WWCC) and to undergo a National Criminal History Check. WWCC’s are free for volunteers via the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian, and criminal history check costs are covered by RSPCA NSW at time of application.
- Support and engagement from the Education Team and the overall Community Team
- Pivotal role in enhancing and delivering key RSPCA NSW Education programs
- A unique opportunity to promote and teach animal welfare messages to children and youth
- Interacting with a variety of people and animals at various shelters in NSW
- Ongoing support for other opportunities in the organisation, where possible