The organisation: Reading out of Poverty (ROOP) is a non-profit organisation in Victoria with a sole focus on providing early literacy skills and school preparedness for children aged 0-5 years from disadvantaged background; including migrants, refugees, and indigenous individuals.
Position description Reading out of Poverty is seeking a Media & Communications Volunteer to assist in all internal and external communications – significant emphasis on media release, blog posts, social media content, newsletters and other tasks.
Hours and Frequency of work Applicants should be available to volunteer for 7 to 15 hours work per week over 1-2 days. You are welcome to work remotely or come in to the office on Tuesdays.
- Assisting with the creation of and editing of media releases, speeches, publications, social media posts, and electronic newsletters
- Drafting communication documents, articles, newsletters, and content for the organisation’s website including blogs, reviews and project reports
- Drafting written content for social media accounts and supporting the development of marketing and communication strategy to promote the organisation
- Monitoring news, media releases and relevant websites to source content and identify upcoming events and opportunities
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of the communications strategy, policies, procedures, registers and records
Relevant Skills (If you have any of the skills listed below, please apply by sending us a cover letter and CV)
- • Writing skills, including the use of correct grammar and expression
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of the team
- Working knowledge of WordPress, back-end development and software/data maintenance, while not essential, would be an advantage
- Experience with campaign monitoring tools (Google Ads, Google Analytics) while not essential, would be an advantage
- Training and/or experience in marketing, communications, media and/or journalism