About the Mt Gravatt Community Centre
Our Community Centre proactively seeks to deliver flexible, responsive and holistic services for our community. We deliver a number of programs and services to people experiencing financial disadvantage, homelessness, social isolation and loneliness, people with disabilities, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and our older community members. There is a space and a place for everyone.
Crafternoons is a an opportunity for all members of our diverse community to come together and connect whilst learning a new skill and taking home their creations! We envisage the group will embark on a simple craft project each week (e.g. card making, painting clay pots, making terrariums etc).
This volunteer opportunity requires someone who is confident in facilitating a group and who is an experienced and contemporary crafter! The role will include:
- Assisting in all aspects of the planning, development and delivery of the group.
- Creating a welcoming environment for community members of all abilities and backgrounds
- Facilitating the group, including managing group rules.
- Engaging with group members in a respectful and compassionate way.
In order for our group to be successful, we require the following skills and attributes:
- Great interpersonal skills and ability to engage with all group members.
- Experience working in the community services sector, or interest in developing skills in this area.
- Experience facilitating groups and skilled in managing group dynamics.
- Willingness to plan, develop and deliver the program with input from the group members.
- Creativity and resourcefulness, with the ability to create projects out of the materials available (we rely on donations of materials).
- Patience and ability to work with people with differing needs and abilities.
- Willingness to work as part of a team and with a co-facilitator.
- A commitment of two hours per week (minimum) on a Thursday afternoon plus additional planning time for a minimum of six months.
- Ideally you will hold a current Blue Card