Volunteer West is advertising this role on behalf of Baptcare Home-Start.
Home-Start is an evidence-based early- intervention mentoring program that offers vital face-to-face and virtual support to vulnerable parents of preschool aged children. The program aims to reduce isolation for vulnerable families and build support networks for parents and their children within their local communities.
The Home-Start Volunteer parent mentor’s role is to provide vital support to young families (with at least one child of pre-school age). The mentor offers support either virtually (online/phone) providing emotional encouragement as well as guidance and information around parenting; or face to face emotional support as well as practical help.
Mostly volunteers are parents or grandparents themselves or have parenting experience – they come from a wide range of ages and backgrounds. All new volunteers must attend a preparation course and undergo a screening process before being linked with a family. This role will take place in the Western Suburbs of Metropolitan Melbourne (Cities of Moonee Valley, Maribyrnong, Hobson’s Bay, Melton, Wyndham, Brimbank).
- Parenting or caregiving knowledge
- Good communication skills
- Satisfactory Police Check and current Working With Children check
- Undertaken two interviews (onepre-course, one post-course)
- 2 successful reference checks on file
- Statutory Declaration signed, certified and on file
- Annual Flu vaccination
- Ability to follow guidance regarding infection control requirements (e.g. PPE, paperwork, training etc.) as needed for the role
- Basic knowledge of childhood milestones
- First Aid Certificate
- Experience working with volunteer programs
- Driver’s License
- Basic record keeping experience