Volunteer West is advertising this position on behalf of Whitelion.
Whitelion is looking for Volunteer Mentors to assist young people to develop a positive sense of self and connections with their community.
Mentors engage in regular recreational activities with individual young people to facilitate the development of an enduring, constructive relationship. This reduces the isolation many young people experience following institutional living and creates hope for a positive future and active engagement in the community.
The role of the volunteer will be to:
- Build a constructive relationship with a young person considered to be at risk in society, either because they are in custody, involved in community Youth Justice or on a Child Protection order.
- Maintain the mentoring relationship beyond times of transition for the young person, such as the end of their custodial sentence or Child Protection order.
- Engage with a young person through the pursuit of common interests.
- Provide non-judgemental support and friendship with the young person.
- Make every effort to attend the Community Days to encourage you and your young person’s sense of community with Whitelion.
Mentoring offers many opportunities for mentors. If accepted into the program you will:
- Receive regular support and training from our mentoring staff;
- Be able to have fun and connect with young people in the pursuit of recreational activities and other interests;be challenged and rewarded on a personal and intellectual level; and
- Gain a greater understanding of the community in which you live.