Volunteer West is advertising this position on behalf of Whitelion.
The Community Integration Program (CIP) is a program auspiced by the Commission for Children and Young People (CCYP) and run in close collaboration with Whitelion and three community service organisations which manage residential care units.
Community Integration Volunteers support young people in residential care to create opportunities to explore their individual potential to move and grow towards positive community connections, outside their care environment.
As a Community Integration Volunteer, you will be part of a meaningful program that seeks to:
- Work with communities to raise awareness of the challenges young people in residential care experience and foster a community attitude and culture of welcome to encourage community involvement in the Community Integration Program.
- Increase the opportunities for young people in residential care to explore, access and pursue positive interests and activities that are meaningful for them.
- Increase confidence and build capacity of young people in residential care through the support of community-based volunteers to develop diverse, positive and sustainable community connections.
- Use an interest and activity based approach for young people to build their capacity (identified as self-esteem and social skills) to form and develop relationships and networkswithin the community, over time.
We are looking for volunteers who are looking to have fun as you connect with children in the pursuit of activities and interests of interest to the children. Knowledge of the local community and / or local networks would be highly advantageous.
As a CIP volunteer, you will:
- Receive regular support and training from your CIL and Whitelion;
- Be challenged and rewarded on a personal and intellectual level;
- Gain a greater understanding of the barriers faced by children who live in residential care;
- Gain a greater understanding of the community in which you live.