Looking to volunteer in a retail environment? The Salvation Army (TSA) Portland Thrift Shop is looking for new volunteers to help bring HOPE where it’s needed most. Be a part of this by volunteering just a few hours per week as a Customer Service Assistant in our store and make a difference in your community.
The Salvation Army Thrift Stores are a vibrant places where great things happen: generous people donate amazing items, customers enjoy an ever-changing selection of goods, volunteers gain friendships and share experiences, all whilst raising much-needed funds to assist the most vulnerable in your community.
A typical day as a volunteer Customer Service Assistant will see you attending to customer needs whilst maintaining a welcoming environment, contributing to a positive in-store experience. The Customer Service Assistant supports the Store Manager in operations of the store ensuring quality customer service, processing customer sales, cash handling & EFTPoS sales, sorting of donated goods, pricing and maintaining the general appearance and upkeep of the shop. Equally important, all Customer Service Assistants are responsible for fostering a culture of inclusiveness and community spirit amongst the volunteer team, which will in turn enhance the customer experience in the store.
Experience in customer service is favorable but not required as you will receive on the job training and support. Your attention to detail and a desire for order and sparkle will be assets in this role, as will your upbeat and friendly attitude.
- Receiving donations, sorting, lifting, pricing and processing of stock
- Displaying and visual merchandising of stock in shop
- Respect that all donations belong to TSA
- Customer service, cash handling, EFTPOS and point of sale processing
- Answering phone and responding to enquiries
- Referring those in need to other TSA services if needed
- Operate following all WHS procedures, including use of PPE, to ensure a safe environment for all
- Report and health and safety concerns to the supervisor
- Ensure TSA values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity and collaboration are upheld while working at the shop.
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Reliable & Trustworthy
- Proactive and self-motivated team player able to make a positive contribution
- Needs minimal supervision and works in a safe manner
- Receives and responds well to constructive feedback and direction
- Respects organisation and personal property and the beliefs of others in a non-judgmental way
- Acts and represents the organisation in an honest and ethical way
- Good match for the team and TSA values
- Good verbal communication skills
- Well groomed
Qualifications & Experience Requirements For The Role
Customer service, retail or merchandising experience would be beneficial, but not essential as on the job training and induction are provided for the right candidates
Mandatory Requirements Of The Role
- Complete The Salvation Army's volunteer registration, mandatory training and induction modules, and any other training as required
- A Police Check is required and other Integrity Checks may be required if working with team members under the age of 18
Roster & Time Commitment
Minimum 4 hours per week, as rostered. Please advise your availability in your expression of interest.
The Salvation Army is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The Salvation Army is a child safe organisation that is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of children and young people, and protecting them from harm. All child facing roles will require the successful completion of a Working with Children Check.
A role profile for this position is available upon request and will also be provided to the successful applicant during the interview process.