VOLUNTEER WEST IS ADVERTISING THIS POSITION ON BEHALF OF CITIZEN ADVOCACY SUNBURY
ABOUT US Sunbury is a community based program which aims to recognise, promote and defend the rights and interests of people with an intellectual disability.
It does this by finding and supporting caring, responsible everyday citizens who are prepared to act voluntarily to make a positive difference in the life a person with an intellectual disability (protégé), who may be lonely, face difficult challenges, or in in a risky situation.
The Citizen Advocacy office matches proteges and citizen advocates ensuring that there is a good match between the needs and interests of the protégé and the abilities, resources and commitment of the citizen advocate. Citizen Advocacy has no sectarian or political affiliations and is motivated only by the desire to make a positive difference in the lives of some of our communities most vulnerable.
YOUR TASKS WILL INCLUDE
- Citizen Advocacy Sunbury is currently looking for a male Citizen Advocate, for a 62-year-old man living at the Corpus Christi Community, Greenvale- a Catholic residential care facility that provides accommodation and support for marginalised older men with a history of homelessness, addiction or complex health needs.
- This man has no family contact and has been institutionalised from a young age. His life totally revolves around the ‘service system’ and he is chronically socially isolated, apart from the Corpus Christi Community and his service providers.
- The Advocate will need to befriend and understand this man, ensuring his needs are met and human rights upheld. In time he hopefully will have greater opportunity to access the community.
- The Advocate will also need to build trust, be patient, and have good communication skills with the individual and various service workers.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH THE FOLLOWING SKILLS
- Sense of social justice
- willing to commit to a long-term friendship
- Good communication skills
- Belief that all people are entitled to dignity and respect
THE BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH US
- Sense of accomplishment that comes with knowing you have made a positive difference
- Long-lasting friendship
- Learn new skills