VOLUNTEER WEST IS ADVERTISING THIS POSITION ON BEHALF OF SETTLEMENT SERVICES INTERNATIONAL
ABOUT US SSI is a community organisation and social business that supports newcomers and other Australians to achieve their full potential. We work with all people who have experienced vulnerability, including refugees, people seeking asylum and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, to build capacity and enable them to overcome inequality.
SSI draws on its expertise and experience to advocate for the people and communities it serves. Through the work we do, we empower people to change their lives. Through our advocacy and representation, we influence ideas and policy.
From a staff of one in April 2011, SSI now employs over 800 employees (including 180 bilingual guides) and over 350 volunteers. In 2018, SSI merged with Access Community Services. We now operate locally, nationally and internationally, with offices in metro and regional Queensland, NSW and Victoria.
YOUR TASKS WILL INCLUDE
- Support the Jobs Victoria Advocate who play an important face to face navigation role in their local communities.
- Engage with local CALD jobseekers and others in community to understand their needs and support options.
- Connect CALD people with relevant services that can help them prepare for and secure work, including support to manage non-vocational barriers to employment.
- Engage in community events and campaigns.
- Actively support SSI’s vision and values.
- Adhere to SSI policies and procedures.
- Follow all reasonable directions provided by Program Team Leader or delegate.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH THE FOLLOWING SKILLS
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to collaborate with the CALD community including a range of stakeholders to achieve and deliver outcomes.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of employment, education and / or community services system would be well-regarded.
- Bilingual skills relevant to the local community would be well-regarded.
- Previous experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
- A current and valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, with comprehensive insurance, to use for work purposes.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications.
- Community engagement experience and / or knowledge of best practice community engagement principles and practice.
THE BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH US
- Reimbursement: Volunteers will have access to reimbursement for all preapproved expenses including reasonable travel expenses.
- Training: Volunteers will be provided with access to SSI’s flexible, extensive and innovative training program.
- Being a member of the SSI Community: Volunteers will be kept up-to-date with all of SSI’s important news, events and opportunities.