You will organise and manage low-scale community clean up events that aim to retrieve cigarette butts from the environment in the Yellagonga Regional Park, Scarborough Beach and Wanneroo Town areas. You will also promote the “Butt Muncher Box” Program, which is a unique recycling option for cigarette butts collected, and encourage its use. Your responsibilities will include:
- Organise and manage low scale community clean up events to retrieve cigarette butts from the environment
- Promote and source volunteers for clean up events and brief volunteers prior to events
- Identify potential opportunities and promote participation in our “Butt Muncher Box” Program and support its launch
- Prepare written and visual content for social media and use it as a tool for promotion
- Collaborate with stakeholders such as environmental organisations, councils, local businesses, hospitality venues, community members etc, and build strong relationships
- Contribute to education around cigarette butt litter and its consequences and discuss solutions
- Coordinate the sorting and counting of cigarette butts collected from events to provide data around cigarette butt litter in the local area
Skills and experience:
Any of the following skills and experience would be highly regarded:
- Knowledge and/or experience organising or contributing to environmental clean up events
- Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise tasks
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to build relationships and engage with people from diverse backgrounds
- An understanding of utilising social media for promotion
- Writing skills with an ability to create engaging content
About No More Butts:
No More Butts is taking action on the single biggest contributor to litter in Australia and around the world - cigarette butts. Made from cellulose acetate, cigarette butts are not biodegradable and leach harsh chemicals into the natural environment. It has been reported to take 15 years for a cigarette butt to break down in seawater, causing damage to marine life and has the ability to enter the food chain as a microplastic. Cigarettes are also considered to be a major contributor towards fires.
Based in Queensland, Australia, No More Butts is the brand and a registered business name of No Butts About It (International) Ltd, a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for Profits Commission. It holds a Deductible Gift Recipient status, having been entered onto the Register of Environmental Organisations in 2020.
Our vision is a Butt Free Environment. We have a serious cause, BUTT, we do like to be a bit cheeky.
As a volunteer with No More Butts, you will be contributing your valuable time to an incredible cause. By volunteering with us, you will help build awareness and create solutions to protect our natural environment by assisting in the reduction of cigarette butt litter.
If your background and passion suit our purpose and culture, we'd love you to apply. We will review and reply to all applicants, whether successful or not. Successful applicants would require a video interview, where you will be asked some questions and may be asked to showcase your previous experience relating to your application.