Please read the position description below. To apply please send us an email addressing why you'd like to volunteer with us and your resume. Please note that as an organization dealing with vulnerable people we require a valid Work With Children Certificate (it's free, you can apply online if you don't have one).
- Have weekly English online conversation sessions with your paired community member using CISCO Webex (we'll explain how to set it up)
- Get to know your community member and organize a program based on their interest and needs (we will help you getting started with this!)
- Attend occasional online volunteers meetings/gatherings
- Be responsible and accountable about your availability for the planned sessions.
- Maintain a culturally sensitive attitude towards people with complex and often traumatic backgrounds, avoid discussing topics related to politics or religion, respecting the conservative Christian background of most of the participants.
- No teaching experience necessary but a positive attitude and the willingness to be an engaging and proactive member of our community are essential
What volunteers gain from their experience with the Australian Syrian Charity:
- Valuable work experience & training with a respected NGO (non-government organisation) that can be added to your resume.·
- Future references for volunteers completing a successful agreed period.·
- A full induction and a supportive and friendly working environment.
- Become part of a welcoming Syrian community and participate in future community events.·
- Dedicated Volunteer Coordinator and other staff to support volunteers.·
- People of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We welcome applications from refugees and migrants from countries experiencing conflict/humanitarian crises, international students, and people with disabilities.
Organisation context: Australian Syrian Charity (ASC) is a community organisation. We believe in equal opportunities for training, work and to settle well for everyone. It started with the Syrian war and was officially registered by 2015. We aim to support the individuals and families of the Australian-Syrian community and others in similar need to overcome barriers that can block their ability to join the Australian community. ASC's vision is for a strong, well-connected and successful Australian-Syrian community, achieved in Australia to be strong, well-connected and successful by empowering Syrians, refugees and asylum seekers with educational and employment strategies. ASC’s mission is to offer the best possible support to the Australian-Syrian community, and others in similar need, to ensure they are living a fulfilling, well-informed life in Australia. To support the individuals and families of the Australian-Syrian community and others in similar need and to overcome barriers that can block their ability to join the Australian community.