Blue Light Victoria (BLV) is an independent, for-purpose organisation with a vision to shape young lives and strengthen communities. Working with young people primarily between the ages of 10-18 years, BLV provides youth engagement opportunities, building resilience and wellbeing through interactive programs across the state.
BLV has a long history of working closely with its key partner agency, Victoria Police. Together, BLV and Victoria Police have designed and facilitated programs and initiatives that provide positive opportunities for young people to participate in with police and their local community.
BLV has approximately 25 branches across the state. Each branch is a member of BLV however they are also independent incorporations, with management committees containing members of Victoria Police and the local community.
Programs facilitated across the state enable approximately 20,000 young people to participate in a BLV event or program each year.
BLV is now in the process of refining its services offerings and will undertake a strategic planning process seeking to re-articulate its identity and priorities ensuring sustainability and growth into the future.
BLV has several paid staff who work to deliver youth engagement programs across the state, a CEO and a Board, consisting of members of Victoria Police and the broader community and several professional volunteers from various sectors assisting the organisation.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced volunteer to research and write compelling proposals and funding submissions to government, community and philanthropic organisations on our behalf. This position is critical to our ability to provide ongoing programs to young people across Victoria.
To ensure success you need to write well and develop an understanding of the vision and mission of Blue Light Victoria and our priorities for service delivery over the next three years. Preferred applicants will have sound written communication skills and be able to comply with tight deadlines.
The Volunteer Grant Writer will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Hours and Basis of Employment
Hours will vary and depend on time of year and when proposals/submissions are due however it is anticipated that on average we would require 4-6 hours per week.
- Drafting and writing grant proposals as articulated by relevant BLV leadership staff.
- Undertaking literature reviews and other basic research reviews to assist with proposal writing, as appropriate
- Compliance with grant application deadlines.
- Understanding the mission and values of Blue Light Victoria
- Maintaining basic records of grant applications
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 2+ years of grant writing experience.
- Proficient with MS Office Word and Excel.
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly written
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of criteria requirements in grant writing.
The ideal person for this role has previous grant writing experience and is aware of the tight timeframes within which they will need to work. This role is flexible and can be undertaken from home or at the Blue Light Victoria state office (CBD Melbourne based).