- 1-3 year position (extendable for two subsequent terms of 2 years each)
- 2 hours per quarter for meetings; approximately 6 hours per quarter for associated support to IHL program/committee work plan.
- Volunteers are also required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as per government mandate for essential workers and volunteers).
The Australian Red Cross International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Program seeks to prevent and alleviate suffering in times of war and conflict and promote non-violence and peace by working towards the following outcomes:
- Australians in war and conflict understand that wars have laws and apply them;
- Australian law and policy reflects IHL and humanitarian principles; and
- the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement has maximum global impact in IHL, and Movement members achieve their local humanitarian objectives.
As a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, Australian Red Cross has an obligation to promote awareness about IHL or the laws of war.
The IHL Advisory Committees have an important role in supporting the Australian Red Cross IHL Program. The Committees represent a high-level, expert group of IHL experts, practitioners and influencers across the country. IHL Advisory Committee members are bound by the Terms of Reference of the IHL Advisory Committee.
This role will suit someone who is currently employed within the media/public affairs sector, including senior reporters, photographers, video journalists, producers, editors, members of a peak body representing media professionals. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest in IHL and humanitarian issues, as well as a demonstrated capacity to influence the media sector and/or to influence their own organisation on policy and advocacy related issues.
As a member of the IHL Advisory Committee, you will be able to influence and participate in public dissemination activities aimed at increasing awareness of IHL, humanitarian action and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. You will also be able to support the Australian Red Cross IHL Program engage with the media sector.
Please note: you will be required to upload a recent copy of your CV to submit this application.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.