- 4 hours per quarter – attending meetings and associated admin
- 12 month commitment with option to renew for a further 12 months
- Volunteers are also required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as per government mandate for essential workers and volunteers)
The Australian Red Cross International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Program seeks to prevent and alleviate suffering in times of war and conflict and promote non-violence and peace by working towards the following outcomes:
- Australians in war and conflict understand that wars have laws and apply them;
- Australian law and policy reflects IHL and humanitarian principles; and
- the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement has maximum global impact in IHL, and Movement members achieve their local humanitarian objectives.
As a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, Australian Red Cross has an obligation to promote awareness about IHL or the laws of war.
The IHL Advisory Committees have an important role in supporting the Australian Red Cross IHL Program. The Committees represent a high-level, expert group of IHL experts, practitioners and influencers across the country. IHL Advisory Committee members are bound by the Terms of Reference of the IHL Advisory Committees.
This role will suit someone who has excellent communication and administrative skills, as well as an interest in IHL and humanitarian issues. Whilst not formally a member of the IHL Advisory Committee as such, the role of committee secretary provides essential support to the IHL Advisory committee by preparing all committee meeting documents and liaising with committee members as required.
As an essential support to the IHL Advisory Committee, you will be assisting the committee in its role in supporting the Australian Red Cross IHL Program to promote awareness about IHL throughout the community.
Please note: you will be required to upload a recent copy of your CV to submit this application.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.