At the Jewish Museum of Australia, we illuminate Jewish life. At the intersection of art and Jewish culture, our Museum is a place for all people to share in the Australian Jewish experience. Through a vibrant calendar of onsite and online experiences and events, the Jewish Museum is recognised as one of Australia’s leading community museums.
Celebrating global Jewish excellence and everydayness through an Australian prism, we inspire curiosity, conversation and play with engagement and connection at our heart. Guided by our strong belief in the power of museums to change lives, we create world-class exhibitions and programs that convey the stories of our diverse community and enhance social cohesion.
- Delivering the nominated Museum school education program to students with the support of other education volunteers and the Museum’s Education team.
- Assisting in the delivery of all of the education programs including sessions connected to our permanent collection.
- Supporting the Museum in ensuring COVID safe measures are in place.
- Being available to speak to students, teachers and adults in the Museum.
- Supporting our team with preparing for the school groups and tidying when they have departed.
- Guiding students through the St Kilda Synagogue.
What the Jewish Museum Can Offer
- A challenging and engaging volunteer role as part of a highly respected Museum education team.
- Professional development sessions in aesthetic education, Jewish literacy, and other topics; regular refresher and networking opportunities to develop your skills and experience.
- An opportunity to develop and challenge oneself and to positively represent Judaism and the Museum’s work.
- Opportunities for social gatherings, the chance to make new friends and be a part of the dynamic Museum team.
- Regular giveaways to ticketed Museum events
- Up to 15% discount on selected merchandise in the Museum shop
- Free access to our temporary exhibitions when accompanying a paying guest. Guest can access the concession ticket price regardless of eligibility.
- A reference when you have been volunteering with us regularly over a reasonable period of time.
- You’re enthusiastic and friendly with good communication skills.
- You like working with other people and being part of a team.
- You’re curious, keen to find out more and open to new ideas.
- You’re excited about engaging with school visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
- You may be a teacher or in teacher in-training, or a retired teacher, you may be a business person or trainer, you may have in your past been involved with youth groups and informal education.
- You have an interest in Jewish culture and history.
- You’re willing to undertake training related to the role and are keen to develop your knowledge and skills to share with our visitors.
- You are confident and can speak to small groups.
- As per current Victorian Government requirements (March 2022), to enter the Museum all staff, volunteers and visitors are required to be double vaccinated against COVID-19. We will require evidence of your vaccination status prior to commencing your placement.
- All staff and volunteers are required to hold and maintain a Working with Children Check (checks for volunteers are free), or agree to obtain one prior to starting, noting the Museum as your volunteer worksite.
- You permit to undergo a Police Check prior to starting, at the expense of the Museum. Your placement at the Museum is subject to the satisfactory outcome of the Police Check.
The Museum is committed to doing everything it can to maintain the safety of its staff, volunteers and visitors. For more information on what the Museum is doing in this regard, please read our COVIDSafe Plan February 2022. If you have any questions about the plan or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Museum’s COVIDSafe Coordinator, Eli Dunlevie on 8534 3602.
Ready to take the next step?
Volunteers are a vital part of our Museum and play an important role in enhancing our impact. As a community organisation, we’re committed to providing volunteer opportunities of a high standard. If you would like to join our team or have any questions, please get in touch by emailing a copy of your CV and / or your expression of interest to our Experience and Facilities Coordinator at [email protected].
We would love to hear from you.
Potential volunteers will be invited to an interview/recruitment event to discuss the role and ensure it is right for you. This will give you the chance to learn more about the program and meet the staff and volunteers you will be working with.