At the Jewish Museum of Australia, we illuminate Jewish life. At the intersection of art and Jewish culture, our Museum is a place for all people to share in the Australian Jewish experience. Through a vibrant calendar of onsite and online experiences and events, the Jewish Museum is recognised as one of Australia’s leading community museums.
Celebrating global Jewish excellence and everydayness through an Australian prism, we inspire curiosity, conversation and play with engagement and connection at our heart. Guided by our strong belief in the power of museums to change lives, we create world- class exhibitions and programs that convey the stories of our diverse community and enhance social cohesion.
There are a wide range of activities that our volunteer Visitor Experience Officers can assist with. These activities are listed below and we work with each of our volunteers individually to determine what level of commitment and responsibility they wish to take on:
- Engaging with visitors across the site; in the exhibition, front of house, shop and activity areas.
- Welcoming visitors to HELMUT NEWTON: In Focus, checking tickets and supporting audiences to get the most from their visit.
- Staffing the admissions desk, taking cash and EFTPOS payments for tickets and merchandise using the Shopify point of sale platform.
- Supervising and ensuring the integrity and safety of the objects on display.
- Supporting the Museum in ensuring COVIDSafe measures are upheld.
- Encouraging visitors to try our hands-on activities.
- Supporting our team with setting up informal learning and activity spaces.
- On occasion supporting formal and informal events and workshops during weekends, holidays and evenings.
What the Jewish Museum Can Offer
- An opportunity to explore the fascinating story of world-renowned fashion photographer Helmut Newton’s early years, including his time in Melbourne.
- A fun and engaging volunteer role in a vibrant environment.
- Museum-relevant training sessions and the chance to develop skills and experience.
- Opportunities for social gatherings, the chance to make new friends and be a part of the dynamic Museum team.
- Regular giveaways to ticketed Museum events
- Up to 15% discount on merchandise in the Museum shop
- Free access to our temporary exhibitions when accompanying a paying guest. Guest can access the concession ticket price regardless of eligibility.
- A reference when you have been volunteering with us regularly over a reasonable period of time.
- You’re enthusiastic and friendly with good communication skills.
- You’re curious, keen to find out more, and then share this knowledge with our visitors.
- You can volunteer for a morning or afternoon session one day each week.
- You’re willing to undertake training related to the role.
- You’re excited about engaging with our audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
- No prior experience or knowledge is necessary, the Museum will provide you with the training and information needed.
- As per current Victorian Government requirements (March 2022), to enter the Museum all staff, volunteers and visitors are required to be double vaccinated against COVID-19. We will require evidence of your vaccination status prior to commencing your placement.
- All staff and volunteers are required to hold and maintain a Working with Children Check (checks for volunteers are free), or agree to obtain one prior to starting, noting the Museum as your volunteer worksite.
- You permit to undergo a Police Check prior to starting, at the expense of the Museum. Your placement at the Museum is subject to the satisfactory outcome of the Police Check.
The Museum is committed to doing everything it can to maintain the safety of its staff, volunteers and visitors. For more information on what the Museum is doing in this regard, please read our COVIDSafe Plan February 2022. If you have any questions about the plan or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Museum’s OHS Coordinator, Eli Dunlevie on 8534 3602.
Ready to take the next step?
Volunteers are a vital part of our Museum and play an important role in enhancing our impact. As a community organisation, we’re committed to providing volunteer opportunities of a high standard.
If you would like to join our team or have any questions, please get in touch by emailing a copy of your CV and / or your expression of interest to our Experience & Facilities Coordinator at [email protected].
We would love to hear from you.
Potential volunteers will be invited to an interview / recruitment event to discuss the role and ensure it is right for you. This will give you the chance to learn more about the Museum and meet the staff and volunteers you will be working with.