Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to engage in meaningful relationships with people living with dementia
- Have good people and communication skills, a positive attitude, and be empathetic and patient.
- Basic knowledge of low-level do-it-yourself activities such as sanding, painting, etc.
- Provide support to people living with dementia
- Promote their dignity, and provide reassurance and validation of their emotions
Volunteers are expected to:
- Provide assistance in facilitating activities for people living with dementia, as directed by Dementia Australia staff.
- Provide support to clients who attend the respite centre with meaningful activities as recorded in their support plans including activities in the men’s shed.
- Act in a compassionate and empathetic way to clients, people living with dementia, and their carers.
- Develop strong, positive relationships with Dementia Australia staff members and clients.
- Promote an awareness of the needs of people with dementia and their carers.
- Communicate and act in consistent ways with Dementia Australia’s values.
- Support and promote the work of Dementia Australia, maintaining a positive image of the organisation by the Code of Conduct.
- Apply and uphold the principles of a respectful, inclusive and diverse workplace, free from discrimination, harassment or bullying.
Training & Induction - The shed supervisor will provide appropriate induction and training via an online portal and in-person 'on-the-job'.
Tea & Coffee are provided.
Please note the working environment has concrete flooring and will have machinery noise.
It is desirable that volunteers have a view to committing to volunteering for a minimum of 1 year.