Save the Children are seeking a team of dedicated volunteers to join our Volunteer Family Connect (VFC) program in the Latrobe Valley region, in Victoria.
VFC is a community-based early intervention program providing one on one support to parents and carers in their home or other safe place. Volunteers visit a family once a week over the course of 3-6 months to provide practical and emotional support. The goal is to help nurture the parent/child bond.
All volunteers are provided with specialised training and support prior and during their time working with a family. They work in partnership with the family and one of our Practitioners to offer friendly support and encouragement in a non-threatening, non-directive, non-judgmental manner.
Skills and knowledge that are preferred but not essential include:
- Experience engaging with young children/ infants - through work, school or family
- A desire to understand, as well as learn from children and families Knowledge of the local area
- Good listening and communication skills
- An empathic and compassionate nature
This role requires:
- Current Working with Children Check
- International and/or National Police Check
- Reference Check (Personal and Business)
- Signing Save the Children Australia’s Child Protection Policy and Guidelines, and a Volunteer Agreement
- Minimum commitment of six months