The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Thursday Girls Group.
The role of the facilitators of the Thursday Girls Group (TG) is to provide support to women living and dying with metastatic breast cancer, taking into account their psychosocial, spiritual, emotional and relevant information needs.
There are two weekly therapeutic support groups and a fortnightly group for the partners of the women. Support for both cohorts is through the therapeutic group experience, and the facilitation of close connections between the members. Each group is facilitated jointly by two facilitators.
Topics discussed depend on the issues important to the members. The facilitators use their professional skills and knowledge to guide and support members of both groups as needed.
Outside the groups facilitators are involved in decision making in the Committee. Thursday Girls uses a bottom-up approach and all members are encouraged to give feedback and there is transparency. The Committee, consisting of two facilitators and at least three Thursday Girls members.
- respond to phone calls and referrals from professionals, family members and women interested in joining TG
- meet prospective members, provide information, assess their suitability, prepare them for the group, or make alternative recommendations
- jointly facilitate the weekly TG Groups
- jointly facilitate the fortnightly TG Partners' Group
- provide individual support to members experiencing difficulties, and maintain contact between group members as needed (via phone, visits, text, online and a WhatsApp group)
- meet with the co-facilitator after each group to evaluate the group process, identify the themes of the session, debrief and plan interventions
- attend regular supervision sessions with an experienced supervisor
- build and maintain up to date records of professional networks for referral and collaboration
- plan and facilitate ongoing program evaluation
- Administrative (may be delegated when possible):
- to maintain relevant records as needed, e.g. member contact details and consent forms
- prepare the annual report for the AGM
- maintain and update information on websites e.g. TG website, My Community Directory, Raiseley, Facebook, Cancer Council of Victoria and BCNA
- review, update and order TG brochures and publicity
- be involved in fundraising and grant writing activities, if needed
- attend and actively contribute to TG Committee and planning meetings
- provide support to the Secretary and Treasurer as needed
Skills and Experience:
- Social work, Psychology, Group Therapy or similar relevant qualification
- ideally experience participating in, as well as facilitating, a therapeutic group
- be familiar with a number of relevant therapeutic models, such as existential, person-centred psychotherapy and group-work
- computer literacy
- social skills and a capacity to work with people in different roles, eg: as group facilitator, as committee member, and at informal TG social events