ABOUT THIS POSITION
As a part of the Brisane Activist Group, you will work with a network of local Community Leaders like yourself to drive ActionAid Australia’s She Wears the Cost campaign, which campaigns brands and retailers like Nike and The Iconic to uphold the rights of women workers who make their clothes.
WE WANT YOU TO BE A PART OF IT!
We’re recruiting leaders from across Brisbane who are passionate about labor and women's rights to take action and stand in solidarity with women on the frontlines of global injustice.
We are coming to a critical moment in this campaign. This July will mark two years since 1,284 garment workers lost their jobs when the Violet Apparel Factory (which made garments for Nike) abruptly closed.
Workers still haven’t received all their wages, benefits and severances owed to them by Nike. Many had skipped meals and took out loans in order to make ends meet.
Our campaign is powered by people like you. Your voice and contribution are powerful as we call upon Nike to #PayYourWorkers.
As a Community Leader, you will lead and establish a community of volunteers that will campaign locally on international women’s rights issues. You’ll be trained in campaigning, community organising and ActionAid’s Human Rights Based Approach.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attending monthly group meetings (either online or in person)
- Supporting the Group Coordinator in local outreach and recruitment. Duties include:
- Phone calling, texting or emailing new activist recruits and welcoming/inducting them to the group. - Supporting the Group Coordinator in keeping track of email inquiries.
- Assisting the group in carrying out logistical tasks for events and actions. Duties include:
- Contacting local venues and catering, organising quotes and bookings for events/actions. - Reaching out to local artists/performers/guest speakers and asking them to support the group event/action. - Keeping within the group budget and tracking expenditure.
- Ability to effectively and confidently communicate ActionAid Australia’s She Wears the Cost campaign via email or telephone.
We’re looking for Community Leaders with a wide range of skills and knowledge. We’re encouraging everyone with a passion for campaigning, activism and grassroots movement who are eager to fight for women’s rights to apply, even if you don’t have much experience.
If you have an:
- Interest in all things social media and developing local activist content (think photos, IG and TikTok reels, informational/promo videos);
- Or a special interest in media and comms outreach;
Let us know, we’d love to have your input and expertise in developing a local group media outreach strategy!
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights.
- The ability to commit to supporting ActionAid projects in your community for at least 2-4 hours a week, for a minimum of 6 months.
- The ability to support the movement remotely, with a computer, mobile phone and access to the internet.
- Be self-motivated and have the initiative to work autonomously and within a team.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and ability to work within this ethos.
- Passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play to achieve a fairer and more equitable world.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE:
- Training in community organising, campaign strategy and ActionAid’s Human Rights based approach.
- A connection with a national movement of supporters and staff who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- A chance to be part of building ActionAid Australia’s presence and grassroots network from the very outset.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit interest via email to Community Organiser, Shay El-ardenli, at [email protected] using the subject line ‘Brisbane Community Leader'.
Please include a short paragraph about yourself and what feminism means to you.