"Social isolation among older people is one of the biggest health risks facing Australia.”
The Umbrella ACVVS is a national program funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health, that supports volunteer visits to provide friendship and companionship to older people, at no cost, to older people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CaLD) backgrounds or Gender Diverse (LGBTIQ+) living at home or living in Residential Aged Care Facilities throughout the Perth Metropolitan region.
Some older people feel alone for various reasons, including:
Little contact with friends or relatives
Feeling isolated from their culture, language and heritage
Mobility issues that prevent them from taking part in social or leisure activities
Being different in some way
Regular visits from volunteers can help to improve quality of life and help older people feel less isolated.
The ACVVS is a free service that aims to:
- Improve self-esteem and well-being.
- Diminish feelings of depression and anxiety
- Increase sense of purpose
- Maintain and increase Independence and sense of belonging.
- Reduce feeling of loneliness and isolation
- Maintain good emotional and physical health.
- Increase longevity.