Why choose to volunteer in a Red Cross Shop?
- You can help improve lives and create a positive impact in your community
- It’s an opportunity to enhance your skills, gain new experiences and even boost your employability
- Our shifts are only 4-hours and committing to just one shift per week makes a big difference
- You’ll be contributing to rescuing 450 tonnes of clothing from landfills annually
- You’ll be helping Red Cross to support other vulnerable people across Australian and the Asia Pacific
What impact will you have?
Embark on an exciting journey with a Red Cross Shop, where donated clothes, accessories and homewares become a source of vital funds for our humanitarian efforts. Join 5000 other volunteers who play a critical role in generating funds to assist people in crisis, hardship and disaster.
More about the opportunity
Red Cross is constantly on the lookout for passionate people able to devote their precious time and effort to support their community. Our Fast Track program has been designed to get you into a Red Cross Shop as quickly as possible. We understand that people might not want to commit their time or undergo the necessary recruitment checks without knowing what being in a Shop is like. Fast Track means you can start in a Shop quickly and try some shifts before making the decision to complete the rest of the recruitment process. Think of it as a trial run for you and us – no strings attached. When you’re ready, together, we can complete the rest of the recruitment process and you can continue to be part of our Movement.
What does a typical day look like in a Shop?
You’ll be doing a variety of things like:
- Providing top-notch customer service, helping people and answering questions
- Handing cash and card transactions with a smile
- Creating vibrant displays to attract shoppers
- Sorting donations and shop inventory efficiently
- Bringing your sense of humour and delight in connecting with locals and colleagues.
What skills do you need?
- A willingness to mix with people of all abilities and backgrounds
- If you’ve said yes to a shift, we’d like to be able to depend on you to show up
- There is cash handling so a level of comfort to use a register and deal with money would be lovely
- Great organisation skills to be able to complete tasks quickly and efficiently
- A great sense of humour and communication skills
What’s the application process?
- No need to upload a resume – just tell us why you’re interested in the role and share your skills
- We’ll have a friendly chat and ask you a few questions and you can ask us questions too
- You must be at least 15 years of age
- If you decide to become a full volunteer, we’ll step you through completing a National Police check (paid for by Red Cross) and some other onboarding steps
Everyone is welcome at Red Cross!
Red Cross is a place of belonging for everyone. No matter your background or experience levels. If you have spare time and a heart for community service, we’d love to welcome you onboard.
Apply now and let’s get you started on a rewarding volunteer journey in one of our Red Cross Shops.
If you’d like to see our paid opportunities at Red Cross go to our website at redcross.org.au/careers.
Red Cross strives to create a safe and inclusive culture with wellbeing at its centre. We embrace diversity and welcome Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people with different lived experiences, abilities, gender, ethnicity, age, and sexual orientation. We are a child safe organisation with zero tolerance of any harm to children. Our vision is to be trusted as the leading humanitarian organisation making a genuine difference in the lives of people and communities.