- Location: Buranda QLD
- Category: Community Services
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Disability Support
Regular - more than 6 months
As a Wesley Mission Queensland volunteer, you will have access to a wide variety of organisational training opportunities.
Communication, empathy, listening, passion, commitment, friendly, time management, organisation.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
Knowledge and understanding of mental health issues and the community mental health sector or a willingness to acquire these, understanding of mental health recovery principles, creative outing planning.
Essential for this role:
A 12 month commitment, access to internet, willingness to use personal phone, willingness to travel.
A Yellow Card (working with people with a disability card) security check. All security checks can be supplied and applied for through Wesley Mission Queensland with no cost to you.
Are you a good listener? Do you like to get out and about? Do you want to make a difference?
Group61 is a mental health befriending program that connects members of our community with volunteers with the aim of reducing social isolation. Group61 is currently seeking volunteers in and around the West End, Woolloongabba, Holland Park area.
Our volunteer Befrienders are matched with a Friend (a person in the community who is socially isolated and has a lived experience of mental illness) and they meet up for a couple of hours a week to partake in an activity such as going for a walk in the park, for a coffee, or to the library.
By providing invaluable face to face connection and friendship, our Friends are supported to expand their social experiences and build their community networks.
As a volunteer Befriender, your responsibilities will include:
• Attend the 3 step induction: information session, interview and training.
• Provide reliable, positive support and friendship to a Friend.
• Meet regularly and maintain excellent communications with a Friend.
• Support and encourage a Friend to link in with local community.
• Attend regular group catch up with other volunteers in their region.
• Provide a monthly report on region to the Area Coordinator.
• Attend some of the Group61 social events.
Please send through your expression of interest and we will contact you with further information.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Group61 is an initiative of Wesley Mission Queensland.