About this opportunity
Volunteering for Learning for Employment's AMEP Volunteer Tutor Scheme requires going to the homes of newly arrived migrants and refugees or meeting them at another convenient place e.g. a local library, a community centre etc. to teach English.
To support adult migrants and refugees from CALD backgrounds to acquire English language skills, find links to the community and understand Australian values and culture.
To provide support to adult migrants and refugees from culturally and linguistically diverse background in acquiring English language skills, finding links to the community and understanding Australian values and culture.
- meet with the student and provide English language support, community information and a general understanding of Australian culture,
- prepare session materials which meet the students' needs,
- maintain regular contact with the Volunteer Coordinator,
- report on session deliveries using the appropriate reporting template.
Student's home, local library, community centre or any other negotiated public place or the local site (if available).
- a comprehensive initial training course is provided free of cost,
- access to learning resources and follow up workshops,
- ongoing support from the Volunteer Tutor Program Coordinator.
National Police Certificate *.
Participate in an initial interview and registration and provide a photo ID and complete the required training program.
Terms of Voluntary Engagement:
- the volunteer engagement is subject to the requirements of the program,
- a commitment of minimum one hour per week is required for a minimum period of six months,
Essential skills and qualities:
- either proficiency in English or proficiency in the English language. Accent shouldn't impede clear understanding,
- good communication and interpersonal skills,
- an understanding of and empathy with people from culturally and linguistically diverse groups,
- a non-judgmental attitude,
- the ability to work independently with a professional approach,
- the ability to keep responsible records,
- culturally appropriate, neat casual wear.
A commitment for minimum one hour per week is required for a minimum period of six months. Time are negotiable depending on availability.Suitable for
- Families with Children
- Groups of 10 or more
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience & Internships
- Younger volunteers, aged 14-18
- Education & Training
- Tutoring & Coaching
15-hour training course in Volunteer English Language Tutoring.