About this opportunity
Calling all Volunteers, come join us at the grand finale Boccia Battle for 2017!
Yes athletes from all over Australia and select international competitors will be going head to head over two (2) days of intense competition to achieve the championships crown.
Come support this championship event, as elite athletes showcase the elite skill and athleticism that makes Boccia one of the most popular sports for athletes with a disability in the world.
Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association is a not-for-profit organisation that has been helping Queenslanders with a disability lead active, healthy lives and achieve their sporting dreams since 1977.
Boccia (pronounced "bot-cha") is a bowling game for players of all ability levels (similar to the Italian game of ‘bocce’). It requires concentration, strategy and accuracy rather than strength. Boccia can be played socially and competitively up to Paralympic level!
The sport is played on a flat, smooth surface, where players must throw or roll coloured balls as close as possible to a white target ball, known as the “jack.” The player, pair or team with the most balls near the jack is the winner.
The game was originally designed to be played by people with cerebral palsy. Now, the sport includes athletes with impairments that affect motor skills. Originally a leisure game, it was first introduced as a competitive sport at the 1984 Paralympic Games in New York. Together with goalball, it is one of the two Paralympic sports without an Olympic counterpart.
Location: South Pine Sports Complex, 620 South Pine Rd, Brendale QLD 4500
Dates: Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 November 2017
Times: 8.30am to 5pm (approximately)
Training: Full training is be provided
The following positions are available:
• Time keeper / Scorer
• General event assist
Benefits of volunteering:
• Contribute to the community
• Make new friends
• To learn new and develop existing skills through hands on experience.
• Volunteer hours may be counted towards tertiary requirements.
• The opportunity to work alongside some of the sports top athletes in the country
• Supporting your local community – putting something back into your community & personal satisfaction knowing you have helped others.
• An excellent CV booster (73% of employers would employ a candidate with volunteer experience over one without)
To secure your position at this event, please contact Susan Solakovic HR and Volunteers Coordinator by Monday 13 November 2017.
Working with Children Check *.
8.30am to 5pm approxGood for
- Large group volunteering (10+)
- Travelling/short term volunteers
- Work Experience
- Companionship and Social Support
- Disability Support
- Education and Training
- Fundraising and Events
- Sport and Physical Activities
- Tutoring and Mentoring
Full training providedReimbursement
All out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed with prior approval.