About this opportunity
What is the purpose of the (Youth Advisory Committee) YAC?
1. To act as an advisory committee to Council on issues that are important to young people in the City of Port Phillip
2. To provide information to Council about young people’s involvement and representation in Council planning and decision making processes
3. To assist with and advise Council on consultation processes with young people
4. To raise awareness and advocate in the community of youth issues, needs and interests
5. To consider issues of importance, (which could involve the development of working groups), and develop recommendations to be presented to Council
6. To promote and encourage the involvement of young people in the planning, development, coordination and provision of Council services
7. To ensure the views and concerns of the young people in Port Phillip are put forward, represented and considered
Who will be involved?
Young persons aged 16 to 25 years that lives, works or studies in Port Phillip with a desire to be involved and contribute to their local community on issues affecting young people.
The Youth Participation Officer will support the committee with planning of consultation topic, development opportunities for the committee and support with the implementation of approved projects.
When / Where will this take place?
The Youth Advisory Committee will hold meetings scheduled on pre- determined dates at the St Kilda Town Hall (99A Carlisle St, St Kilda VIC 3182) from 4:00pm - 5:30pm on Thursday evenings every three weeks except for school holidays. The regularity of the meetings will be assessed by the facilitator and members and changed if needed.
How will this be achieved?
As one of the main aids of the YAC is to provide information to Council about young people’s involvement and representation in Council planning and decision-making processes, Council will be invited to attend meetings and speak with the YAC about key initiatives as is outlined in the Council Plan initiatives.
Participants are involved in all decision making in regards to the YAC, they provide direct input into the community projects they will carry out as a part of their involvement. The voice of young people has a direct impact on local government decision-making.
The Youth Advisory Committee will hold meetings scheduled on pre- determined dates at the St Kilda Town Hall (99A Carlisle St, St Kilda VIC 3182) from 3:30pm - 5:30pm on Thursday evenings every three weeks except for school holidays.Good for
- Youth/school volunteers (age 14-18)
- Governance, Board, Committee
Free Training will be provided.